Cronos achieves interoperability with the Ethereum and Cosmos ecosystems and is the first chain to pull off this feat. But how is Cronos helping in massive crypto adoption?
Let’s dive deeper into this facet of Cronos.
What Is Cronos Blockchain?
Cronos is an EVM-compatible blockchain created with the help of the Cosmos SDK and is a prominent player in the Cosmos ecosystem. EVM-compatibility (Ethereum Virtual Machine) helps in the execution of smart contracts native to the Ethereum ecosystem.
Cronos is interoperable with the Ethereum and Cosmos ecosystems and is the first chain to pull off this feat. Ethermint, a scalable and high-throughput PoS system, powers the network to ensure compatibility and interoperability with Ethereum.
Cronos Blockchain Technology
Cronos uses an Ignite (formerly known as Tendermint) proof-of-stake consensus engine to execute its smart contracts. Ignite is a Byzantine-Fault-Tolerant (BFT) proof-of-stake consensus mechanism. In other words, it helps the system to stay intact even if one-third of the nodes fail.
Ignite acts as a middleware solution that helps to incorporate Cosmos SDK into the Cronos system. (Read the detailed introduction of the Cosmos ecosystem here.) Cosmos SDK is a modular framework for building blockchain applications on the Cosmos network. It provides reusable components to the developers to create new custom blockchain networks.
Ignite also embeds the Inter-Blockchain Communication Protocol (IBC) into the Cronos blockchain. It handles the authentication of data between two blockchains. In short, Ignite solves the problem of cross-chain communication for Cronos. That means it makes the blockchain interoperable.
The rate of transactions processed per second via Ignite is significantly more than the rate achieved by most public blockchains. Ignite can handle 4,000 to 16,000 transactions per second (TPS). It, however, depends on the number of validators active in the network at any given time. It makes it faster, cheaper, and eco-friendly to use Ignite.
Since Ignite uses a proof-of-stake consensus mechanism, blockchains using Ignite require the validators to stake their crypto assets. The validator operators get token rewards for their services. It also applies to the Cronos chain and $CRO token.
Are Cronos and Crypto.org the Same?
But a common misconception is that Cronos and Crypto.org are the same.
True, Crypto.org and Cronos are both developed using the Cosmos SDK, enabling further interoperability. But they are entirely different blockchains. While Crypto.org is a stand-alone network, Cronos is ETH-compatible.
The rationale behind the two chains is identical to what Binance did with their Binance Chain (BEP2) and their Binance Smart Chain (BEP20).
The ultimate aim of Crypto.org is to enable quick transactions and absurdly low costs, encouraging rapid adoption and playing a function comparable to that of the Binance Smart Chain for the Binance ecosystem.
On the other hand, Cronos’ primary purpose is to provide a platform for building decentralized apps utilizing smart contracts. Like how BSC uses the BEP20 standard and Ethereum uses the ERC20, Cronos embraces the CRC20 token standard.
The $CRO token, the foundation of the Cronos and Crypto.com ecosystem, serves as the native currency of the Cronos network. The Cronos chain’s value propositions are as follows:
- EVM compatibility: Cronos is powered by Ethermint, a platform that enables the migration of smart contracts and applications from Ethereum and other EVM-compatible networks.
- Scalability: Cronos can execute more transactions per minute at a lower cost and with less impact on the environment than many rival networks.
- Interoperability: The Inter Blockchain Communications Protocol (IBC) enables bridging to the Crypto.org Chain and other IBC-enabled chains, including the Cosmos Chain.
- PoA consensus: Cronos is more efficient and scalable than many other networks employing different consensus processes since it uses the proof-of-authority (PoA) consensus mechanism.
- Open Source: Cronos was released as open-source because they value community participation and cooperation.
Now, let us take a look at CRO tokenomics and ROI.
Market cap: $1.99 billion
Max supply: 30.26 billion
CRO has an all-time low of $0.01149. And in November 2021, the coin made its way through many other counterparts, reaching an all-time high of $0.965. However, the CRO collapsed in the subsequent months. It is down by over 91% and is now trading at $0.0788.
If you had bought the token at its all-time low and sold at its all-time high, you would have had an ROI of 8,300%. And if you sell it now (1 CRO = $0.0788) instead of its ATH, you will have an ROI of over 110%.
Crypto.com facilitates buying and selling of digital assets such as coins and tokens. It also has an exchange that helps users to buy, sell, and trade tokens – including Bitcoin, Ethereum, etc.
$CRO is the native token, and at the time of writing, $CRO is trading at a rate of $0.0788.
One of the most attractive features of the Crypto.org ecosystem is its Visa card. Crypto.com provides its stakeholders with a prepaid, crypto-friendly Visa card. In the case of Crypto.com cards, you can top up your balance using bank account transfers, other credit or debit cards, or cryptocurrency. Staking $CRO tokens for 180 days is mandatory to apply for a Crypto.com Visa card.
Coming to sponsorships, Crypto.com has signed sponsorship deals with parties from various sports-related backgrounds. They include parties from sports teams to entire sporting leagues. By signing with these big players, Cronos is changing the way of luring the mainstream to a new space like cryptocurrency.
Some of them are:
- PSG (Paris Saint Germain)
- Angel City FC
- Twitch Rivals
- SERIE A
Projects Running on Cronos Blockchain
Cronos is undoubtedly one of the projects with the fastest market growth. With countless projects of numerous types, Cronos is now a complete ecosystem in the decentralized landscape.
Projects on the Cronos blockchain include aggregators, asset-backed tokens, liquidity, charity, community tokens, decentralized exchanges, fan tokens, etc.
At the time of writing, the are 180 projects running on the blockchain, including Defra, Codex Exchange, CroPunks, etc.
Let’s take a look at some notable projects in Cronos.
- VVS Finance – One of the prominent Cronos chain projects, VVS Finance, or “very, very simple finance,” strives to accelerate the adoption of cryptocurrency trading among the general public. By offering an intuitive user interface and gamification, the decentralized exchange (DEX) seeks to draw consumers with less experience in Web3 and decentralized finance.
- Ferro Protocol – Built on Cronos, the Ferro Protocol is an AMM (Automated Market Maker) stable swap protocol. Ferro aims to develop a protocol that makes it easier for users to farm and trade highly correlated assets in liquidity pools.
- Beefy Finance – Beefy Finance is a multi-chain decentralized yield optimizer launched on the Binance Smart Chain (BSC) in September 2020. It also runs on Cronos and offers automated investment strategies based on liquidity pools.
- Tectonic – Tectonic is a cross-chain, non-custodial money market system that offers a lucrative and secure environment for crypto lenders and borrowers. It runs on the Cronos blockchain and seeks to make borrowing and lending possible between several blockchains.
- MM Finance – It is an AMM and a DEX on Cronos that generates fee rebates through trade mining. MM Finance was also the first DEX to implement Protocol Owned Liquidity into its system.
The ultimate goal of Crypto.com, as stated in its mission and vision statements, is to “Accelerate the World’s Transition to Cryptocurrency” by offering customers digital financial services.
Crypto.com believes it will lead the push toward Web3 with its access to a wide range of products and services relating to cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology.
And as the cornerstone of Crypto.com’s vision, it will be interesting to watch how the Cronos narrative unfolds.
⬆️ For more cryptocurrency news, check out the Altcoin Buzz YouTube channel.
⬆️ Our popular Altcoin Buzz Access group generates tons of alpha for our subscribers. And for a limited time, it’s Free. Click the link and join the conversation today.